Happy 2019! I’ve actually had this recipe written for a couple months but the Holidays got the best of me and things got top busy. THEN I had my wonderful friend’s husband help to update my blog with a new look and feel… do you like?? I’m in love 🙂 It really pays to know software engineers because my technical knowledge allows me to type this and that’s about it…
Back to the apple cake! It’s actually adapted from a recipe i found on all recipes:(https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7380/applesauce-cake-i/). I tweaked and tested the recipe several times and this here is the winner. It’s a little taste of fall but I really feel these flavors are good year round. It’s also sweet enough to serve as an after dinner treat but simple enough to have with your morning coffee! You KNOW I love a versatile recipe!
I like the addition of cake flour because it makes what could be a very dense cake a bit lighter. However, I understand not everyone will have cake flour on hand so 2 cups of all purpose flour is absolutely fine! Have fun with this recipe! You could add nuts and raisins or any dried fruit as the original recipe calls for but I found I loved it best with only the diced apples for added texture.
Let me know what you think! Happy baking!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and heat apple sauce slightly in microwave
- Mix together sugar, butter, apple sauce and molasses. If you don't heat the apple sauce prior to mixing the butter will start to clump. This is fine... just be aware!
- In a separate bowl mix all of the dry ingredients. Slowly pour into the wet while mixing.
- Fold in the diced apples and pour batter into a greased bread tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until firm and cooked all the way through.